ST. JOSEPH STATUE
The Statue of St. Joseph, located near the entrance to the cemetery, marks the spot of a mass burial for the unmarked graves from the old cemetery on Garvin and Virginia Streets. This original cemetery served the needs of the catholic community of Evansville from 1837-1878 when new land was purchased on the west side of Evansville.
GARDEN OF THE LAMBS
The Garden of the Lambs is the burial site for young babies who were still born or died as a result of a miscarriage. St. Joseph Cemetery along with the Spiritual Care department of St. Mary’s Medical Center conducts a burial service every three months. This prayer garden provides a special place for the parents of these children to remember and pray for their departed child. It is probably the most visited area of the cemetery.
The Project Rachel statue is one of the very special monuments in the cemetery. The statue and adjoining prayer area is dedicated to all those whose lives have been affected by abortion.
Bishop Grimmelsman, the first Bishop of the Diocese of Evansville, Bishop Shea, the third bishop of the Diocese of Evansville and many first priests who ministered to the people of the Evansville area are buried in what is known as the Priests’ Circle. On the adjoining hillside, many of the priests who have ministered to the people in the various parishes in the Evansville Diocese are buried. The crucifix is also a part of the Stations of the Cross that adorn this area of the cemetery.
MEMBERS OF RELIGIOUS COMMUNITIES
Deceased members of the Daughters of Charity, Little Sisters of the Poor, and the Poor Clare Sisters are also interred near this area.